For an inexpensive and easy-to-prepare dish, try this hearty casserole.
You can assemble it ahead and bake it just before leaving for a potluck.
People go back for seconds since it includes tasty basic ingredients like bacon, cheese and potatoes.
Cook time: 65-70 minutes
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese. Top with all of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs; add milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3128 Calories; 186g Fat (53.8% calories from fat); 181g Protein; 177g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 2154mg Cholesterol; 4695mg Sodium. Exchanges: 8 Grain(Starch); 18 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Non-Fat Milk; 24 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.